Monday, September 18, 2017

Blogger's Quilt Festival - Taste the Rainbow


It's that time of the year again...each fall, Amy, who blogs over at Amy's Creative Side, hosts the Blogger's Quilt Festival on her blog.  We are allowed to link up two quilts and have the opportunity to visit and be inspired by other blogger's wonderful quilts.  

My first entry to the festival is my Taste the Rainbow mini quilt which I designed and made for my local guild's, Greenville Modern Quilt Guild, challenge.   The challenge was to create a 
mini quilt (less than 36" on all sides) with a modern take on the classic birds in the air block.




My mind went towards how to place the blocks without the traditional grid and thought of a circular design.  Combining that with a rainbow palette and I had the beginnings of my quilt design.  The rainbow fabrics are a mixture of fabric manufacturers with the majority of the fabrics being Robert Kaufman Kona Cottons and Michael Miller Cotton Coutures.  The background is a Blueberry Park print from Karen Lewis for Robert Kaufman.

I used Corel Draw to draw out the design and create the paper piecing templates.  In order to keep everything well aligned and spaced, I added a lot of radial lines, you can see the craziness.




The design is paper pieced from 16 "pie slices", with each slice being sewn from 4 paper piecing templates.  This was not a quick make, but it was exciting as each colored slice came together.



I used my favorite batting, Warm & White by the Warm Company for the quilt.  I find Warm & White has a great structure after quilting so it is perfect for wall hangings.

I quilted the background by echoing the triangle shapes close to the seam lines and then adding some concentric 16 sided polygons.  Next, I add some running stitch hand embroidery (I am calling it embroidery as the stitches only go through the top layer, they are not quilting stitches) 1/8" spacing between the lines using matching Aurifil threads in 28 wt.  This also took a long time but gave me a nice hand project for when I was outside with the kids.



As I was showing sneak peaks of the design and quilt on my blog and social media I was asked if I could write a pattern for the quilt so I put together templates for anyone who would like to create their own Taste the Rainbow - Craftsy Etsy

Note: This is a set of advanced level paper piecing templates, not a full pattern.  The instructions do not contain general paper piecing instructions, sizes of fabric pieces to cut, or seam allowances printed on the template sections.  


Quilt Stats

Size: 32 1/2" x 32 1/2"
Fabrics: Solids from Kona Cotton by Robert Kaufman and Cotton Couture by Michael Miller.  Background gray is from Blueberry Park by Karen Lewis for Robert Kaufman.
Thread: Triangles used matching Aurifil 12 wt., Background used Aurifil 40 wt in dove (2600)
Batting: Warm & White by the Warm Company
Quilting Patterns: Triangles used running stitch hand quilting.  Background used outlining and concentric octagons.


My other entry for the Fall 2017 Blogger's Quilt Festival is Arrow Point Path, you can read about it right here.

Here are my entries for the Blogger's Quilt Festival over the years:

Fall 2016: State of Being
Fall 2016: Canvas Lines

Fall 2015: Riley Blake Triangle Quilt
Fall 2015: Improv Table Runner

Spring 2015: Use Your Illusion

Spring 2015: Plus Plus - Two Tone Version

Fall 2014: Oh The Places You'll Go

Fall 2014: Vintage Star

Spring 2014: Kona 2013 Quilt

Spring 2014: Improv Quilt Two

Fall 2013: Pi Quilt

Fall 2013: Pink Broken Herringbone Quilt

For those that are new to my blog, please check out the Magnolia Mystery Quilt (my 4th annual mystery quilt), we are just getting started!







29 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt and love the hand quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just so fabulous. I don't think I had really noticed before that the background was a print! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quilt and design, Cheryl! It is a fantastic color wheel. I hope you are planning to keep this one for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautful. A really interesting take on circles and flying geese, and you can't go wrong with a rainbow! Your embroidery gives it nice texture, but I'm curious about the reasons why you didn't choose to quilt it through all the layers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a unique application of a traditional block. Love the circular effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love this! Thanks for showing a bit behind the seams of your process too! I love seeing how others take a traditional block and make it more modern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is really beautiful excellent work

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is another beauty Cheryl. I'm going to throw out another idea for you. I've always wanted to learn how to design my own paper piecing patterns but I can't find instructions so if you are looking for another idea maybe this could be it.....just saying....but no expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you entered this one! It's one of my favorites of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt is stunning. Love the use of rainbow colours. Totally gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so beautiful! Looks like the circles are turning inside each other. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thats a great design ♥ I love flying geese, you know ;-) And rainbow quilts too! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. CHERYL!!! Okay I thought I LOVED your turquoises entry and THEN--!!!! It is fantastic! Geese...(you may know I have had a recent 'thing' for them) and in a circle?!! Genius. Rainbow! Beyond genius. And the embroidery you added...good grief I'm getting a hot flash and it has nothing to do with the 90 degree humid air in which I'm writing this, grin.

    ReplyDelete
  14. очень красиво. Спасибо за подробный рассказ. Это всегда интересно.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this quilt! The longer I look at it the more different design choices stand out to me - i think your print background really adds an extra element to this quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such an impressive quilt. Love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This must have been a challenge to make. I'd love to make a foundation paper pieced rainbow circle one day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is one of favorites. Hope you have it hanging someplace you can enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both your entries are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cheryl this is beautiful. Your drawing with the lines gives me a headache to imagine drawing then making templates! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stunning!! Really great pattern. The quilting highlights the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous quilt! Very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous rainbow quilt!! LOVE the surface texture you added. Wouldn't want to be the one trying to paper piece this challenging design, though!! Paper-piecing and I are NOT friends.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Cheryl,
    WOW! That is absolutely gorgeous! And I love seeing the design process! Very inspiring!
    Again, WOW!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this!! Great job. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment!